Weekly Proverb–The Righteous Seek Knowledge while the Wicked Feed on Foolishness
(14) The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
The Righteous Seek Knowledge
The first part of this proverb says that “the heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge.” The word seeketh is written in the present indicative mood, which means to “continually search for” or to “continually seek after”. The Hebrew used for the word knowledge literally means “to know; to be aware of”. It comes from a Hebrew root word which can also mean “to ascertain, to comprehend.” Thus, the message of the first half of this proverb is that he that has understanding (the saved believer) continually searches to know or to comprehend the things of God.
We see another reference to this same concept in Proverbs 9:9-10,
(9) Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
(10) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
These verses are pretty much self-explanatory. The Bible says that if you “give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser.” The more the saved believer walks with God and studies His Word, the wiser the believer will become. There more we study God’s Word and the more we seek wisdom from on high, the more we will increase in learning. However, not all wisdom comes from just reading God’s Word. Some wisdom comes from God bringing us through trials.
Verse ten says that “the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.” The more we walk with God and the more trials he brings us through, the wiser we will become.
Even though I’ve only been saved for five years, I have already experienced myriad trials and witnessed firsthand how the Lord gets us through the trials and uses them to help us increase our faith. I can honestly say that I would not be as strong in my faith today if I had not gone through those trials.
Now, let’s take a look at the second part of this proverb.
The Wicked Feed on Foolishness
The next part of this proverb says that “the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.” Once again, the word feedeth is written in the present indicative mood, which means that the fool continually fills himself with foolishness.
There are several cross-references for this verse , but I will only discuss a few for the sake of your attention span 🙂
(23) A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness.
The Bible says that a prudent man concealeth knowledge, that is, he keeps knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaimeth (continually declares) foolishness. A lost person will continue in his wicked ways and will continue to reap the consequences of his sin until the day that he/she gets saved. At one time we were all lost; we were all fools (according to the Bible) and thought that our self-righteous “good works” would get us to Heaven. We proclaimed foolishness. Praise God that we believed the Gospel and got saved, but not everyone accepts.
(10) Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
(11) Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
The fool (unsaved person) who rejects the Gospel is one who shuts the door on the soul-winner when they come knocking at the door to preach the Gospel. The one who rejects the Gospel is the one who says to the godly preacher to stop preaching the “old time religion” and start preaching “the prosperity, health, and wealth gospel.” The one who rejects the Gospel is the one who says, “speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:”
There are plenty of people who have said those very words. It is for that reason that (false) churches like Lakewood Church, The Potter’s House, and others have been raised up because of the wicked desires of these rebellious people:
Yes, there are some people sitting in these false churches that have been truly deceived by the lies of these false teachers, but the large majority of them are those who have willingly and deliberately rejected the true, right, and unperverted Gospel for a worldly, carnal, and perverted false gospel of prosperity and earthly riches.
God has put up with it for 2,000 years now. One thing I do know: Jesus is coming back soon and time is running out for the wicked.
(12) Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
(13) Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
(24) Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
(26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?