The Lord’s Day–Commit Thy Way Unto the Lord
Commit thy way unto the Lord ; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. (Proverbs 37:5)
In this passage of Scripture, the Bible tells us to “commit thy way unto the Lord.” What does it mean to commit our way to the Lord? The word “commit” in the Hebrew literally means to roll thy way upon. Essentially, the Lord is telling us that we need to surrender our entire lives to Him? How do we accomplish this surrender practically on a daily basis?
- Dying to self daily in prayer
- Asking God specifically to humble us and help us rely solely on Him
- Asking for God’s guidance in prayer on everyday decisions, not just the big ones
- Submit yourself to the providential, sovereign will of God and do not try to accomplish anything if you are unsure if it is God’s Will
- Study and search God’s Word for His specific will concerning individual problems or decisions you may be facing in life
After we have done the above steps, we need to now trust the Lord to bring forth His Will, not in our own time, but in His time. Consider the following verse(s):
(3) Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
(4) Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
(5) Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
When we delight in doing God’s Will, when we trust Him to fulfill His Will, and when we surrender our lives daily to God, we are enabled to have the continual joy of the Lord in our hearts, knowing that God is in complete control of our lives.
Things to Take Away from Today’s Scripture:
1. We need to “roll over” our lives to the Lord and give all of our decisions, desires, goals, and expectations to Him.
2. Once we do the above, we need to trust God’s sovereign will and search His Word for his specific will concerning individual decisions we need to make in life.
If we simply put our trust in God’s eternal and perfect will, instead of trusting in our own knowledge and strength, we can be confident that God will bring His Will to pass in our lives. God’s plan is always the best plan!